9360 34 Ave NW Edmonton, Alberta T6E 5X8

Why You Should Always Follow Court Orders

Why You Should Always Follow Court Orders

10 July 2022

You and your ex-spouse may be barred from breaking specific court orders in family law cases. Child custody agreements, spousal support payments, and child maintenance orders are all examples of court orders that may be included in divorce settlements. In many cases, they specify how each party is expected to carry out its responsibilities. If a party fails to do so, they could be penalized, and everyone involved could face the consequences. Support, custody, spousal support, visitation and protection orders, and restraining orders are some of the orders that can be used in family law.

When an Order of the Court Can Be Violated

A court order's specific guidelines make it easy to spot when there has been a violation. For example, if the court orders you to pay your ex-spouse a certain amount of spousal support every month by a specific date, you will be in violation if you do not pay that amount by that date.

The Consequences of Disobeying a Court Order

Violations of court orders will result in contempt charges against you or your co-defendant. As a result, they will be indicted and held accountable for their actions. You can, however, get permission from the court before you violate an order from the court. For example, if you cannot pay child or spousal support as agreed, you can petition the court to alter the order temporarily.

What Is the Meaning of Being Accused of Contempt of Court?

When accused of contempt of court for disobeying an order, you have rights and options for fighting the charges. Read on to learn more. Legal representation is a fundamental right that every person accused of a crime should be afforded. A hearing is also available in which you can give your side of the story. It would help if you also were proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt by the other party.

The court may still order you to pay your ex-spouse the money you owe even though you face criminal charges. If you fail to pay your debts, the court may use wage garnishments to hold you accountable and ensure that you comply with the terms of the law.

If you violate a court order for visitation, what happens?

Violating a court order governing child custody or visitation can be severe. A violation of the visitation agreements can result in contempt of court issues because they are a court order. Civil penalties (such as a fine or jail time) may apply depending on the severity of the violation.

Second, and perhaps more significantly, a parent's parental rights may be terminated if they violate a court-approved custody or visitation order. The custodial parent may lose custody rights or have custody reduced if the custodial parent committed the violation. If a noncustodial parent has breached visitation agreements, they can lose some or all of their visitation rights and any custody rights they might have had.

As a result, if a parent tries to gain more custody or visitation time than the court has approved, that parent may lose their rights.

Several options are available to you if you believe your child custody and visitation agreement has been broken

Regarding child custody and visitation rights agreements, most parents are involved equally. To become enforceable, the court must first approve these agreements after the parents sign them. Visitation rights are enforceable and can result in significant legal action in the event of a violation, so they're taken very seriously. Visitation rights can be violated in the following ways:

An extended vacation with the child without informing the other parent or even informing them is a violation of the custody or visitation order, as is taking the child outside of state borders, which may result in federal issues, or allowing an unapproved individual to look after them. Not telling the other parent where the child is or where you are taking them.

It's best not to try to handle things alone if you find yourself in this situation. The logical first step is to contact the appropriate authorities, such as the police. This is especially important to know if the child has been missing for some time or has been reported missing.

Once a particular breach has been pointed out, it is also suggested to let the court know the entire situation as soon as possible. As a result, you won't do anything that could be considered a violation. In addition, you'll be in a better position due to it.

Consult a family lawyer before taking action because every case is unique and needs to be discussed. When you hire a lawyer, they will explain your legal options and help you navigate the process. Locate a reputable family law attorney in your area to help you properly.